Many people think that metal roofing underlayments are the same as shingle roofing underlayments. This is one of the biggest misconceptions and is due in part by shingle roof contractors pretending to be metal roof contractors. Metal roof contracting takes experience and not just with the roof panels but also what is underneath.
The main reason traditional shingle underlayments such as felt paper and ice and water shield should not be used is because they have a granulated surface that can cause micro-abrasions on the metal roofs paint surface. The two products we recommend for underneath your metal roof are:
DEKGUARD-260 – a self adhesive modified asphalt underlayment with polyester surfacing for high temperature applications under metal and tile roofing. The features include:
• High temperature adhesive that withstands temperatures up to 260°F (126.6°)
• Polyester/Fiberglass-reinforced surface for dimensional stability and durability while
working with the membrane
• Approved for 4 month exposure without roof cladding
Deck-Armor™ Roof Deck Protection -exceptional strength and superior
• Exceptionally strong… At least 600% greater tear strength than standard #30 felt!
• Revolutionary “breathable” technology… Helps prevent inside moisture from
becoming trapped within your roofing system—and causing mold, mildew, and
expensive structural damage
• Premium construction… Exceptionally durable, non-asphaltic construction will not
rot or become brittle (unlike conventional asphalt felts which can disintegrate over
• Versatile… Can withstand UV degradation or 180 days when left exposed
When installing a metal roof in PA, NJ or DE it is important to have roof to deck