New Jersey’s #1 Metal Roofing Installer
Every year, 13 billion pounds of asphalt shingles go into landfills, whereas metal roofing is 100% recyclable at the end of its very long lifespan (50+ years). There is no denying oil is a necessary part of life. Petroleum goes into our cars, boats, planes, plastic manufacturing and asphalt production for roadways as well as roofs. Asphalt roofs are literally made of oil.
Recycle Your Metal Roof
Conversely, Standing Seam metal roofs are the clear choice for their energy efficiency, ability to recycle, and oil preservation for the following reasons:
- 2-3 times life expectancy than asphalt shingle roofs
- Metal roofs contain 20-30% post consumer recycled material
- 100% recyclable at the end of their lifespan
- Metal roofs reflect the sun’s rays saving 20-40% on building cooling costs (1/6 of all energy in US is used to cool buildings)
- Up to 1/7 as light as asphalt shingles
From production to installation to reuse, the recycled content of steel in a metal roof is over 28%. Even more impressive: the product can be 100% recycled at the end of its very long lifespan.
Asphalt Roofing Material
On the other hand, asphalt (petroleum) is a sticky, black and highly viscous liquid or semi-solid that is present in most petroleum crude oils and in some natural deposits. The largest use of petroleum asphalt is for making asphalt concrete for road construction and accounts for approximately 80% of the petroleum asphalt consumed in the United States. Roofing shingles account for most of the remaining 20% of asphalt consumption in the United States.
If this information wasn’t enough to convince you that metal roofing is the obvious sustainable choice, think about the hazardous run-off of petroleum as shingle roofs dry and get washed over, whereas metal roofing runoff is so clean it would be considered drinkable.